New comfort foods and traditional favorites now feature carefully-sourced ingredients that make Bayside even more “worth the walk”
In a move to provide locals an option for healthier food, Bayside Grille is making a commitment to use fresh and minimally-processed ingredients. Their new menu features the original Bayside favorites with healthier ingredients and 19 new “comfort food” items.
Superior ingredients: From the meat to the produce, the ingredients used at Bayside Grille are carefully sourced. The poultry is all natural, antibiotic-free, vegetable-fed, and with no sodium nitrate or MSG. The beef is grass-fed, the salmon is raised in the wild and 15 of the produce items are organic.
Why the radical change? Bob Ziton, President of the Bayview Family of Companies, pays attention to food trends and has watched Whole Foods, Lakewinds Food Co-op and the like spread through the Twin Cities. The National Restaurant Association reports that more than seven in 10 adults are trying to eat healthier at restaurants. Restaurant guests are increasingly demanding more healthful options and he wanted Bayside Grille to be a destination for restaurant meals you can feel good about eating. “We’re taking our food to the next level.”
Clearly, eating healthier has become a full-fledged movement so Bayside commits to offering healthier options:
- Grass-fed beef: Compared with grain-fed cattle who are fed in cramped “feedlots,” grass-fed beef contains up to 5 times as much Omega-3 which is attributed to heart health, twice as much Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) which is associated with reduced body fat and contains less fat and fewer calories.1 Now all beef served at Bayside is grass-fed.
- Antibiotic-free: The CDC Director, Thomas Frieden, reports that every time antibiotics are used in any setting, bacteria evolve by developing resistance and has named combating this one of his top priorities. Every year, 2 million people in the United States get infections that are resistant to antibiotics, and at least 23,000 people die as a result.2 Now all meat at Bayside Grille is antibiotic-free.
- Gluten-free: With a potential of 32 gluten-free items that include gluten-free buns, bread or pizza crust, Bayside Grille strives to be the best option for avoiding inflammatory gluten.
- No Sodium Nitrates: In the International Agency for Research on Cancer’s most conclusive ever “meta-analysis” of over 800 published papers, there are over 34,000 deaths per year attributable to diets high in processed meats. The biggest risk is attributed to sodium nitrates. Consuming 50 grams per day (one hot dog or six pieces of bacon) raises the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%.3 No ingredients at Bayside Grille contain sodium nitrates.
New items: There’s something for everyone on the new winter menu. New appetizers include warm Wild Rice Mozzarella Fritters and Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup with a kick of lime. The ever-popular Bayside Minis now include turkey meatloaf and Sriracha BBQ pulled pork. New burgers include healthier options—veggie, salmon and bison—and more adventurous options like the Wrath of McGrath Burger. Cole slaw and baked potatoes can now be substituted for chips or fries. Bourbon brown sugar glazed salmon with tropical mango salsa and turkey meatloaf with a delectable Port wine mushroom sauce star in several dishes as healthier, but delicious, options.
Ziton looks forward to further distinguishing Bayside Grille as the best wharf experience on Lake Minnetonka.
Bayside Grille is located behind Bayview Event Center on Excelsior Bay in Excelsior. Winter hours are Friday and Saturday, 4pm to 1am with live music starting after 9pm, and Sunday, 4pm to 9pm. View their new website and menu at www.baysidegrille.com.
1. Gunnars, Kris. “Grass-Fed vs Grain-Fed Beef – What’s The Difference?” Authority Nutrition.
2. Black, Jane. “Why Are There Still So Many Antibiotics in America's Meat?” Prevention.